Jerame Davis

Farewell to thee, John Ashcroft!

Filed By Jerame Davis | November 09, 2004 9:18 PM | comments

Filed in: Politics

I think many of us are having our first collective sigh of relief today. John Ashcroft has finally resigned. The media kept telling us it was coming, but after such a resounding red-state victory, I wouldn't have been surprised to see him singing in the halls of the Justice Dept. again. Makes you wonder what bone Bush is going to throw to the right-wingers next. Maybe we'll get Jerry Falwell on the Supreme Court!

Hopefully we will see someone more in tune with civil rights and privacy take the top post, but I'm not holding my breath. All indications point to Bush being more radical in his second term than he was in his first. He's claiming a mandate with 51% of the vote. Let's just forget about the other 49% that voted AGAINST Bush. Apparently we just don't matter...And neither does the fact that more people voted against any sitting president running for reelection.

John Ashcroft needed to go long ago. I'm glad to see him go. Maybe now he can work on a greatest hits album and tour the Red States with his "Let the Eagles Soar" show. Wait...I live in one of those Red States...Nevermind.

I'm still liking this idea...

Too bad Indianapolis would be part of Jesusland...At least I wouldn't have to go as far.

Leave a comment

We want to know your opinion on this issue! While arguing about an opinion or idea is encouraged, personal attacks will not be tolerated. Please be respectful of others.

The editorial team will delete a comment that is off-topic, abusive, exceptionally incoherent, includes a slur or is soliciting and/or advertising. Repeated violations of the policy will result in revocation of your user account. Please keep in mind that this is our online home; ill-mannered house guests will be shown the door.