The LCR is pumping a new survey of Republican voters to show how pro-gay they are. They describe it as showing that "Republican voters support basic fairness for all Americans, regardless of sexual orientation," and "This poll makes it clear that the much talked about 'base' of the GOP fundamentally believes in basic fairness for all Americans." Well, let's take a look at the results.
Here's the list of results:
- 48% said the government should not restrict gay and lesbian behavior.
- 49% of Republicans believe gays and lesbians should be able to serve openly in the U.S. military, while 42% are opposed.
- 77% of Republicans believe an employer should not have the right to fire an employee based solely on their sexual orientation.
- 43% of Republicans support either marriage equality or civil unions. 51% oppose all relationship recognition.
- 53% of respondents agree that "the Republican Party has spent too much time focusing on moral issues such as abortion and gay marriage and should instead be spending time focusing on economic issues such as taxes and government spending."
Yeah, that's right. Almost a majority of them don't think that we should be thrown in prison for existing (48%)! Thanks! And they're now a little more than even on whether they could condescend to let us die for them in war! Woot!
Look, this might be an improvement over the past when Republicans overwhelmingly wanted us all thrown in prison, or even further back when both parties were in on the policing-sexuality-if-it-upsets-me mentality. But to say that it's somehow a good place for any major political party to be? Well, I suppose if you just don't like government programs to help the poor and are insanely scared of the threat of the week but love the same sex you've got to make those two ends meet, and you take what you can get in terms of "support".