I've been busy with the Bilerico Project and Bilerico Media lately, so I haven't had time to post on these great topics that have been submitted. I figured I'd do a quick roundup to make sure you had a chance to see them...
- According to a press release sent to B-IN, Rep Andre Carson joined 326 other Congress persons to support the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act. The bipartisan bill "grants the Food and Drug Administration the authority to restrict tobacco marketing and sales to youth."
- Jill Long Thompsons campaign spent yesterday touting their "Green Jobs Initiative." The campaign claims, "The proposal centers on the creation of new, good-paying jobs through targeted investments and an increased commitment to new environmental and energy standards." According to a recent Forbes Magazine article ranking the "Greenest States," Indiana ranks next-to-last.
- In other Long Thompson news, the Indiana Postal Workers Union officially endorsed her campaign for Governor this week.
- The annual Indiana Democratic Editorial Association Convention (IDEA) will be held this weekend in French Lick. This year's convention will also feature an activist training session hosted by Indiana's Campaign for Change. Part of Obama's 50 state strategy, the Campaign for Change idea is a fascinating blend of activism and funding opportunities for local candidates.
- Looking for a local race to support that will really make a difference in the lives of those of us outside the capital city? Friend of the blog (and personal friend) Sondra Bolte is running for the Bartholomew County Council in Columbus, IN. This is one race where we can make a serious difference. Remember a few years ago when Cummins Engine Company offered domestic partner benefits and right wing fundies rounded up hundreds of protesters outside the company's corporate headquarters in Columbus? Sondra was instrumental in setting up a response in favor of diversity and reaching out to the LGBT community after. Send a check to "Sondra Bolte for County Council" at 3423 Westenedge Drive, Columbus, IN 47203 or go to www.vote4sondra.com and use Paypal.