Virginia Senator Mark Warner, like his colleague, Virginia Senator Jim Webb, is a friend and supporter of ENDA. He has privately indicated his support for ENDA. For that we can be grateful.
It's time for him to come out publicly in favor of ENDA.
There are 40 co-sponsors of ENDA, and another 9 confirmed yes votes on ENDA, some of them who have only confirmed privately. We need to have Senators who support us to come out publicly, so that the Senate leadership will know that we have the votes necessary to bring ENDA to the Senate floor.
I'm in Madrid this week, speaking at the International Bar Association Conference on US workplace protections for transgender people. I've written posts for this week in advance, and won't be around to work the twitter. I'd be grateful if you could send this around to your friends. Contact info after the jump.
Senator Warner is definitely a friend of the LGBT community. Look at all the bills he is supporting according to HRC:
- S.909 - 'A bill to provide Federal assistance to States, local jurisdictions, and Indian tribes to prosec...
- S.1102 - 'A bill to provide benefits to domestic partners of Federal employees.'
- S.1153 - 'A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to extend the exclusion from gross income for health coverage to domestic partners.'
- S.833 - 'A bill to amend title XIX of the Social Security Act to permit States the option to provide Medicare to low income HIV individuals.
- S.424 - 'A bill to amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to eliminate discrimination against same-sex partners in immigration.
- S.611 - 'A bill to provide for sex educatino programs to reduce HIV rates, other sexually transmitted diseases and teen pregnancy.
Please call Senator Mark Warner of Virginia to thank him for his support of ENDA, and ask if his office can confirm his support for S1584. You may get a staffer who is unaware of the Senator's position on ENDA. Take a moment to explain what it is, and to ask if he or she can get some information on the Senator's position. Tell us what they said in the comments below.
Senator Warner: 202-224-2023 (click here for email)