Last week I shared with you the Cookie's and Cream Cupcakes I made for Jerame's birthday. Well, it is birthday time again, and I am going to try something new - with liquor.
I saw a recipe posted on a friend's Facebook wall for Jello shots made in an orange rind, which got me to thinking, "Is there a vegan alternative for Jello?" Turns out there is.
One of my favorite places for vegan recipes is VegWeb. It is an exhaustive database of strictly vegan recipes and I have been using it for years. I've yet to try the recipe, but I'll update you on Monday.
This will be the only post today due to birthday prep, so I thought it would be fun for you to post some of your own favorite party recipes - and I'll try to veganize a few.
Check out the recipe after the jump and have a happy weekend.
Vegan Jello Shots
Ingredients (use vegan versions):
- 1 cup sweet fruit juice
- 1/2 teaspoon agar powder
- 1/2 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 to 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup coconut rum or vodka
1. Pour the juice into a microwave-safe container or a small pot. Mix in the agar powder and let sit for about 5 minutes. Bring the juice to a boil in the microwave or on the stove and boil or simmer for about 1 minute.
2. Dissolve corn starch in the cold water. Stir in dissolved cornstarch and rum or vodka.
3. Pour mixture into about 15 to 18 shot glasses or small cups. Refrigerate at least a few hours to let the jello set. Keep refrigerated until use.
Preparation time: 15 minutes