According to the results, 43% of Black gay teens have contemplated or attempted suicide due to issues related to their sexuality. But that's not all, the survey had more stunning findings.
- 22 percent experienced mental abuse related to their sexual orientation
- 26 percent experienced anti-gay bullying
- 11 percent are HIV positive; 7 percent do not know their status
- 8 percent have been homeless due to their sexual orientation
- 9 percent have been sexually abused as a result of their sexual orientation
- 10 percent have been physically abused as a result of their sexual orientation
Other findings revealed that over half of those who were surveyed are either disowned or still in fear of being disowned. And 90% need their families to be accepting in order to make gay life more bearable.
These results are just a glimpse into the lives of Black gay teens; just a glimpse. This report is the first of three to be released later this year. So there will be more interesting information released about the young Black LGBT community.